The Capital Adaptive Rowing Program (CARP) is celebrating 10 years! We’ll be featuring stories from athletes, coaches, and volunteers throughout the year. Learn more in last year’s 30for30 post, Capital Adaptive, from the Beginning.
For our inaugural post, a poem by CARP athlete Sarah Davies:
Row Row Row Your Boat
As our CARP Crew claims its first ten Herculean years
Exchanging wheels and canes
for blood, sweat and tears
Exchanging eyes for ears
And tortured limbs coaxed to rid fears
Oars obey charging forth, as each of us tuning our own instrument learn
To command different notes from the struggle it takes to earn
Which makes each one played well on the water or erg worth taking a turn
Each of us hears new music earning individual gains
So we can satisfy and relish just like the rest in the main
Triumphant sculling to celebrate courage put to the test
Inspired by each new journey while trying our best
The challenges we’ll keep meeting day after day
Remain CARPe DIEM! everybody, one right after the other
It’s the very best way!
Get involved by volunteering or donating to CARP today!
Join Capital Rowing Club as we kick off the rowing season and celebrate 10 years of the Capital Adaptive Rowing Program (CARP)!
When: Friday, March 15, 6–9pm
Where: Agua 301, 301 Water St SE, Washington, DC 20003
Whether you currently row with one (or more) of our programs, are a former Capital rower, or you are interested in learning more about joining our club, you’re invited. This is a great opportunity to catch up with your teammates after a winter off the water or to talk with current members to learn how Capital is a good fit for you.
We will have a private area reserved for our group in the back of the restaurant.
The 2019 Juniors Ergathon will take place on Saturday, February 23, at BASIS DC Charter School, 410 8th Street NW.
Registration starts at 9:30 am, followed by relays from 10 to noon.
The annual Ergathon, where the team collectively will row 250,000 meters, helps raise money to ensure that more DC-area students have the chance to experience rowing and to make their own memories on the water.
Help support the Capital Juniors by donating, joining a relay team, or volunteering at the event!
Start the new year by finding a new passion—and a great workout—at Capital Rowing Club’s Winter Indoor Learn to Row program!
Each session, which includes eight 90-minute classes on Saturdays and Sundays at the Anacostia Community Boathouse, introduces the basics of erging and the rowing technique.
- Fee: $150 for eight 90-minute classes
- Time: Saturday and Sunday, 1:00–2:30 pm
- Session I class dates are January 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, and 27
- Session II class dates are February 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, and 24
- Location: Anacostia Community Boathouse
Click this link to register!
Windy conditions didn’t stop Capital members and alumni from enjoying the 54th Head of the Charles on Saturday and Sunday, October 20–21, 2018!
- Men’s Veteran 1x—57th (M. Malinick)
- Women’s Grand Master 1x—15th (R. Hollins)
- Men’s Senior Master 4+—33rd (as Friends of Andover: C. Sweeney, R. Stedman, D. Lavin, D. Lippold, cox: S. McKay)
- Men’s Senior Master 2x—5th (as Chinook: M. Nash and R. Reichart)
- Women’s Senior Master 1x—22nd (S. Acerra)
- Women’s Club 4+—33rd (as Friends of Andover: A. Sweeny, M. toms, J. Vocaturo, K. Bidwell, c: K. Cheney); 38th (K. Guiliano, M. McMenamin, T. Kerns, B. Neumann, cox: S. Montgomery)
- Men’s Master 4+— 12th (L. Wilson, M. Neumann, M. Riegelman, S. Neumann, cox: R. Lopez)
- Women’s Master 4+—22nd (as Friends of Andover: A. Connolly, K. O’Connell, J. Ross, L. Smith, cox: R. Rubin)
- Women’s Master 8+—10th (J. Battistini, C. Elias, C. Fratzke, A. Lenz, A. Potter, J. Perkins, J. Ney, S. Dunham, cox: G. Abell)
- Mixed Inclusion 2x—10th (as Athletes without Limits: M. Constandy and A. Waiters)
- Directors’ Challenge Women’s 4x—15th (as Beat Cancer Boat Club: M. Nielsen, P. Meyer, S. Gross, S. Acerra)
- Directors’ Challenge Mixed 8+—6th (as Beat Cancer Boat Club: B. Tryon, S. Stitt, G. Kaplan, M. Sivigny, K. O’Connell, S. Kaplan, O. Huxley, M. Nielsen, cox: P. Besteman)