Learn to Row with Capital Rowing Club!
Capital Rowing Club, with experienced coaches and volunteers, offers an introduction to the sport of rowing for individuals in the greater Washington, DC area. Each session, which includes 10 classes on Saturdays and Sundays from 9am – 12pm (unless otherwise noted) at the Anacostia Community Boathouse, introduces the basics of rowing – such as language and handling equipment, to performing rowing drills and rowing all eight.
Rowing offers a total body, low impact workout unequaled by any other sport. Unlike most activities, rowing incorporates the use of your legs, core and upper body. Rowers face backward in the boat and combine the power of leverage and precise timing to propel the boat through the water.
No previous experience is needed. Each class is limited to 28 students, which allows for personal interaction with coaches, volunteers and other novices. Once novices graduate, they are invited to become club members and get more involved with Capital and their new sport!
Click this link to register for any of the classes below!
- Schedule :
- Fee: $325 for ten 3-hour classes
- Time: 9 AM – 12 PM
- Session I: March 25, 26, April 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 22, 23, 29
- Session II: May 13, 14, 20, 21, June 3, 10, 11, 18, 24, 25
- Session III: July 1, 2, 9, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30, August 5
- Session IV: August 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, 27, September 9, 10, 16, 17
- Session V: September 30, October 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28, 29
- Location: Anacostia Community Boathouse
If you have any questions, please check out our FAQs.
Novices will learn:
- Basics of the rowing stroke
- Fundamental rowing topics such as ration, and timing
- Practice rowing together as a “crew”
- Gain familiarity with challenging rowing-based workouts and physiology
- Introduction to training and racing
- Boat safety in addition to learning the parts of rowing boats and oars and how to handle them.
- Introduction to equipment terminology and care
A typical practice might consist of the following activities:
- Land coaching via demonstration on the ergs.
- Light erg sessions to practice technique and body mechanics.
- Rowing on the water as a “crew”.
Private Sculling Instruction
For those interested in private one-on-one instruction for training in one-person boats, arrangements are made on a case-by-case basis. You can read more about the private sculling program on our website. Please email Membership to learn more and sign up.