The Capital Men’s Competitive Program participated for the first time in the renowned San Diego Crew Classic on March 24th and 25th. The Crew Classic could be considered the Sprint edition of the Head of the Charles Regatta with 123 High School, College and Masters teams participating over two days. Ten men from the Comp Program trained over the winter, both indoor and on the water, to prepare for two events: The Men’s Masters Club Championship Event (Heats and Finals); and the Men’s Masters E Event (Final only).
A unique aspect of this regatta is the length and venue. The course is 2000 meters in Mission Bay with tides and consistent West winds typically between 8 and 12 mph proving to be an exceptionally challenging race. Most of the men had not raced 2000 meters since college, if ever.
The men in the Masters Club Championship Eight finished third in their heat on Saturday advancing them to the eight boat final on Sunday morning where they finished a strong 7th. Cambridge Boat Club stroked by 1968 Olympic Medalist Charlie Hamlin won the event.
The men finished a close fifth in the Men’s Master E event Sunday afternoon again with Cambridge winning the event but this time stroked by 1984/1988 Olympic medalist, Tom Darling. This was an open event with several “rolodex” crews made up on former elite/national rowers.
Coach Guennadi was proud of the men watching them row extremely well in the challenging conditions at a stroke rate (35 spm) typically not seen until June. To be the best, you have to row with the best, and that is indeed what they did. The men are looking forward to the Masters National Championships in Oakland, CA where they will see many of the same very competitive West coast crews.
Capital Adaptive (CARP) had a great day at the 2018 World Indoor Rowing Championships. Shannon and Kenny won bronze medals and all 6 rowers who raced achieved personal bests! Shannon bested his PR by 15 seconds, Charlie by 18 seconds for year 2018/2 seconds faster than last year, Kenny by 1.6 seconds, Dan by 6 seconds, this was Louisa’s first competitive 1k and she beat her goal split by 1:12. Sherman by 52 seconds.
Way to go team and special thanks to Michele, Coach Brandon, Coach Susie, and our volunteers for helping to make it all happen (and of course Meagan!). Go CARP!
The first week of November always brings both the Head of the Occoquan and the Head of the Hooch. This year Capital fielded crews at both races! Congrats to all who made it out! Below you’ll find more detailed results of Capital at the Head of the Hooch 2017:
- Men’s College and Club 4: 14 of 58
- Mixed Masters 2x: 25 of 37 (11 of 17 in the under 50 group)
- Women’s College and Club 4: 8 of 53
- Mixed Masters 4: 12 of 22 (8 of 15 in the under 50 group)
- Mixed Open 4: 2 of 12
- Men’s Master 1x: 1 of 14 (S. Neumann)
- Women’s Master Ltwt 1x: 7 of 7 (M. Bureau)
- Para LTA 2x: 1st
- Para T/A 2x: 1st
- Mixed Masters 8: 7 of 19 (3 of 8 in the under 50 group)
It’s always great to end the season on the Occoquan. The weather definitely proved a bit chilly, but the rain skipped over most of the races for the team. Nice racing Capital!
- 16B. MEN’S MASTER 8+ (50+) – 1st Place
- 18B. WOMEN’S CLUB 8+- 1st Place
- 21A. MEN CLUB 4+ – 1st Place
- 21B. WOMEN’S CLUB 4+ – 5th Place
- 22. MIXED 8+ – 2nd in the Masters Category, 4th Place Overall & 11th Place
Capital returned this year to the Head of the Schuylkill, after not having sent the full team in a few years. Juniors and Masters brought their A-game and had a great time even in the rain!
- Event 06A – Men’s Master’s 4+ (27-39) – 3rd & 9th
- Event 14A – Mens’ Master’s 8+ (27-39) – 2nd
- Event 16B – Men’s Doubles (40-49) – 3rd
- Event 31B – Mixed Master’s Doubles (27-39) – 4th
- Event 24A – Men’s High School Varsity 1x – 35th & 39th
- Event 24C – Women’s High School Varsity 1x – 12th
- Event 25A – Men’s High School Varsity 4+ – 52nd
- Event 25B – Women’s High School Varsity 4+ – 42nd and 47th
- Event 28A – Men’s High School Novice 8+ – 46th
- Event 28B – Women’s High School Novice 8+ – 36th
- Event 30C – Women’s Highs School Varsity Quad – 27th
- Event 33A – Men’s High School Varsity 8+ – 53rd
- Event 33B – Women’s High School Varsity 8+ – 35th
- Event 37B – Women’s High School JV 8+ – 31st