Capital Rowing Club’s Summer Learn-to-Row camp offers three- one week-long sessions and meets Monday through Friday. Sessions 1 and 3 are from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and session 2 is 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. All sessions are at the Anacostia Community Boathouse. Summer Learn-to-Row offers boys and girls, ages 12–17, the chance to learn rowing for the first time, to explore the Anacostia riverfront, and to build teamwork and friendships with students from across all eight DC wards.
The program is taught in a fun and supportive environment, with a goal of developing a solid foundation of rowing skills. Over the course of the week, students:
- are introduced to basic measures of fitness and strength on the rowing machine (i.e., erg),
- learn rowing terminology and how to handle equipment, and
- develop a basic set of rowing skills.
Training takes place on CRC ergs and on CRC barges (i.e., eight-person training boats). The daily schedule includes warm-ups, on-the-water instruction and practice, and land-based team- and strength-building activities. On the last day of camp, students have an opportunity to race in a friendly, intramural environment. Afterward, we celebrate our achievements with an outdoor pizza party at the boathouse.
Capital Rowing strives to ensure cost doesn’t preclude participation. If you need a Scholarship for this program please email email@example.com
Learn rowing at Capital Rowing Club in a free one week summer camp! No previous experience is needed. The camp will run for a half-day Monday – Friday, with the option of doing additional weeks during the summer. You can sign up for any of the weeks.
- Week 1: Monday June 19 – Friday June 23
- Week 2: Monday July 10 – Friday July 14
- Week 3: Monday July 17 – Friday July 21
- Time: 9am-12pm
- Ages: Rising 7th grader or 12 years old – 16 years old
- Cost: Free
- Students and parents are asked to provide a short response about why they want to learn to row (application link is below).
- Students will have to inform us about their swimming proficiency. If your child does not know how to swim, they will be required to wear a personal floatation device (life vest) in the boat while learning to row.
Applications are now closed.
Deadline to apply: May 26th, 2017
Notification of camp assignment: May 30th, 2017
The 2017 Season of Learn to Row is about to begin!
Session I: March 25, 26, April 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 22, 23, 29.
Capital Rowing Club offers an introduction to the sport of rowing for individuals in the Washington, DC area. Each session includes 10 classes, held from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays (unless otherwise noted) at the Anacostia Community Boathouse. The course introduces the basics of rowing — such as language and handling equipment, to performing rowing drills and rowing all eight. The classes are taught by experienced coaches and volunteers.
No previous experience is needed. Each class is limited to 28 students, which allows for personal interaction with coaches, volunteers and other novices. Once novices graduate, they are invited to become club members and get more involved with Capital and their new sport!
Click this link to register.
Fee: $325 for ten 3-hour classes.
There’s still time to sign up for future classes, too.
- Session I: March 25, 26, April 1, 2, 8, 9, 15, 22, 23, 29
- Session II: May 13, 14, 20, 21, June 3, 10, 11, 18, 24, 25
- Session III: July 1, 2, 9, 15, 16, 22, 23, 29, 30, August 5
- Session IV: August 12, 13, 19, 20, 26, 27, September 9, 10, 16, 17
- Session V: September 30, October 1, 7, 8, 14, 15, 21, 22, 28, 29
If you have any questions, please check out our FAQs and/or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.