If you would like to commit for the spring season, please register below.
These must be turned prior to participation on the water
Swim Test Form (only required for new rowers)
UPCOMING DATES AND ACTIVITIES:
- 3/15/2014: Take Out Day. This is a madatory task for ALL club members and will kick off at 9:00am at the boathouse.
- 4/6/2014: Capital Juniors Erg-a-Thon! The date is still tentative but we're setting the stakes high and aiming to beat last years goal. What do you say, Capital Juniors, can we raise $6000 this year?!
- Anyone between the ages of 13-18 is eligible.
- The Capital Juniors spring rowing program is a fun way for experienced rowers to build their rowing skills and conditioning this spring. Team members will have the opportunity to scull and sweep under the supervision of a team of Capital Rowing Club coaches. We will practice 5 days per week, 4:30pm - 6:15pm at the Anacostia Community boathouse, and race at competitive regional regattas.
- WHEN: The spring season will run from Monday March 17th until approximatly Friday May 17th with practice from 4:15pm until 6:15pm Monday through Friday. As normal, the first week of practice will be "tryout week," after which we expect athletes to commit for the season. During this time (March 17th - 21st), anyone can try out the sport to see if they like it, without having to commit.
- WHERE: 1900 M St. SE Washington DC 20003.
- HOW MUCH: For the spring season, there is a $250 requested donation. We will not let money get in the way of anyone rowing, so we ask that you pay as much as you are able. Registration coming soon!
- SPRING REGATTAS:
- 4/12/2014: Baltimore Invitational, Middle Branch Basin, Baltimore, MD
- 4/27/2014: Cooper Cup, Cooper River, Camden County, NJ
- 5/4/2014: America Rows Mid-Atlantic Regional, Middle Branch Basin, Baltimore, MD
- 5/10/2014-5/11/2014: USRowing Mid-Atlantic District Junior Championships, Mercer Lake, West Windsor, NJ (tentative)
- 5/18/2014: Capital Scrimmage, Anacostia Community Boathouse, Washington, DC
Welcome! We are so glad that you are interested in joining our club.
- DATES: March 17th through May 17th
- TIME: Monday - Friday 4:30pm - 6:15 pm.
- WHERE: 1900 M Street SE, Washington, DC 20003.
- COST: Suggested donation of $250 per rower. We will not let money get in the way of anyone rowing - we ask that you pay as much as you are able. Registration coming soon!
- REGATTAS: TBD.
- GOALS: To introduce the sport of rowing to local teens age 13-19. No experience is required and everyone is welcome to join. Novices will learn:
- Body mechanics of the stroke
- Fundamental boat topics such as set, run, ratio, and timing
- Blade (oar) technique
- Use of rowing machine (ergometer or "erg")
- Introduction to training and racing
- Boat safety
- Equipment terminology and care
- WHAT TO WEAR: Wear athletic cloths that are close-fitting, but comfortable. Be aware that you will get a little wet (from oars splashing, not swimming), so be sure that you are comfortable with your clothes getting wet. Bring socks, athletic shoes, and water everyday!
- EXPECTATIONS: Crew is a very time intensive sport, but is also very fun and rewarding. Daily attendance is expected so that we can have a fun and be successful. A typical practice may include:
- Land coaching via demonstration on the ergs
- Light erg sessions to practice technique and body mechanics
- Rowing on the water using a training barge or in 8-person or 4-person rowing shells.