If you would like to commit for the summer season, please register here.
These must be turned prior to participation on the water
- Anyone between the ages of 13-18 is eligible.
- The Capital Juniors Competitive Summer Rowing Program is a fun way for experienced rowers to build their rowing skills and conditioning this summer. Team members will have the opportunity to scull and sweep under the supervision of a team of Capital Rowing Club coaches. We will practice 3 days per week, 4:15pm - 6:15pm at the Anacostia Community boathouse, and race at up to 3 competitive regional regattas. Regatta fees and trailering costs are included in the program fee, though travel for the athletes to regattas is not included.
- WHEN: The summer season will run from Monday June 10th until Sunday July 21st with practice from 4:15pm until 6:15pm every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday. As normal, the first week of practice will be "tryout week," after which we expect athletes to commit for the season. During this time (June 10th - 13th), anyone can try out the sport to see if they like it, without having to commit.
- WHERE: 1900 M St. SE Washington DC 20003.
- HOW MUCH: For the summer season, $295 program cost for each participant. Register here! We understand that financial circumstances may not make this possible, and will not let money get in the way of rowing.
- SWIM TEST: TBD
- SUMMER RACES:
- 6/22/2013: Rocketts Landing Masters Regatta, Richmond, VA
- 7/13/2013: Capital Springs Regatta, Anacostia Community Boathouse, Washington, DC
- 7/20/2013: Phila Youth Regatta, Philadelphia, PA
SUMMER JUNIOR NOVICE ROWING CAMP (registration coming soon!)
Welcome! We are so glad that you are interested in joining our club. Some of you have rowed before, but many of you haven't. The purpose of the summer season is to teach everyone how to row, to have practice in a race situation.
- DATES: June 24th - June 28th (Session I); July 15th - July 19th (Session II) (2 one-week sessions).
- TIME: Monday - Friday 3:00pm - 6pm.
- COST: Suggested donation of $125 per rower. Sliding scale from $20-125.
- EVENTS: TBD.
- GOALS: To introduce the sport of rowing to local teens age 13-19. No experience is required and everyone is welcome to join. Novices will learn:
- Body mechanics of the stroke
- Fundamental boat topics such as set, run, ratio, and timing
- Blade (oar) technique
- Use of rowing machine (ergometer or "erg")
- Introduction to training and racing
- Boat safety
- Equipment terminology and care
- WHAT TO WEAR: Wear athletic cloths that are close-fitting, but comfortable. Be aware that you will get a little wet (from oars splashing, not swimming), so be sure that you are comfortable with your clothes getting wet. Bring socks, athletic shoes, and water everyday!
- EXPECTATIONS: Crew is a very time intensive sport, but is also very fun and rewarding. Daily attendance is expected so that we can have a fun and be successful. A typical practice may include:
- Land coaching via demonstration on the ergs
- Light erg sessions to practice technique and body mechanics
- Rowing on the water using a training barge or in 8-person or 4-person rowing shells.