Learn To Row
- Parent Category: Rowing Programs
Learn to Row With Capital Rowing Club!
Novice on Land "Learn to Row" Classes at the Anacostia Community Boathouse.
Capital Rowing Club, with experienced coaches and volunteers, offers an introduction to the sport of rowing for individuals in the greater Washington, DC area this winter. Each session, which includes 8 classes on Saturdays and Sundays from 2:30pm - 4:00pm (unless otherwise noted) at the Anacostia Community Boathouse, introduces the basics of rowing on an ergometer. Learn to Row Indoors provides rowing instruction for new rowers. This class primarily uses indoor rowing machines, and does not include 'on the water' rowing. Graduates will be welcomed to join 'on the water' groups spring 2014.
No previous experience is needed. With three different session there are plenty of opportunities to choose from. Each class is limited to 17 students, which allows for personal interaction with coaches, volunteers and other novices. Once novices graduate, they are invited to become club members and get more involved with Capital and their new sport!
Per session, there is a one-time fee of $120, which covers all eight 90 minute classes. Session fill up quickly, so please click the link below to register. We use Ronin to manage money and registration. We advise you not to delay in registering, as sessions can fill up fast!
Novices will learn:
- Basics of the rowing stroke
- Fundamental rowing topics such as ratio and timing
- Practice rowing together as a "crew"
- Gain familiarity with challenging rowing-based workouts and physiology
- Introduction to training and racing
- Boat safety in addition to learning the parts of rowing boats and oars and how to handle them.
- Introduction to equipment terminology and care
A typical practice might consist of the following activities:
- Land coaching via demonstration on the ergs
- Erg workouts to practice technique and body mechanics
- Relays on the erg